Brooklyn has created some of the best and brightest in the world today. Out of the womb of this great borough has sprung some of the most famous and influential people in the world. From film makers to musicians to athletes, Brooklyn has the stuff that makes Superstars. Here is a list of the 10 Most famous people from Brooklyn, New York. Let me know if you agree. Counting down from 10 all the way to number 1.
10. Mary Tyler Moore: When it comes to being famous Mary Tyler Moore Ranks as one of the most recognizable names worldwide. Mary Tyler Moore was born in the Brooklyn Heights section of Brooklyn, New York, to George Tyler Moore, a clerk, and his wife Marjorie (Hackett) She is best known for The Mary Tyler Moore show and also is the International Chairman of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International. She is easily one of the worlds most recognizable figures not only for her show but her charity work. She is brooklyn.
9. Joseph Barbera: If you've ever seen The flintstones, Yogi Bear, Space ghost, The Jetsons, Tom and Jerry, Scooby Doo and a whole list of other cartoons that I can mention (But won't), then you know who this man is. He's number 9 because every one can easily recognize not only his work on sight, but his name in the duo of Hanna Barbera. A lot of us grew up watching those cartoons and still watch them to this day. So although we may not know his face as much as his work, but his name is easily recognizable worldwide.
8. Jackie Gleason: Young and old alike can tell you about an episode of the HoneyMooners that they liked the most. Jackie Gleason made the phrase "Bang! Zoom! to the Moon Alice" famous. He's best known for playing Ralph Kramden on The HoneyMooners. Not to mention the jackie Gleason Show. Jackie Gleason was hands down one of the funniest individuals on the planet. As Brooklynites we claim him as our own.
7. Spike Lee: The often controversial but never dull Spike Lee is a product of the borough of Brooklyn. The very outspoken director has never won an oscar but has been praised in the industry for doing oscar worthy work. Think what you want of this Brooklyn native, but his body of work speaks for itself. Spike Lee is living proof that hard work and perseverance pays off. He got that from Brooklyn.
6. Woody Allen: Screenwriter, director, actor, comedian, author, and playwright Woody Allen is easily earns his slot at number 6 as one of the most recognizable Brooklynites in the world. His career spans over 50 years. There is even a life size statue of him in Spain in honor of his work. How is that for world famous! What a lot of people don't know is He is also a jazz clarinetist who performs regularly at small venues in Manhattan. He's Brooklyn.
5. Jay Z: Rapper and Businessman Jay Z who's real name is Shawn Carter Is certainly proud of his Brooklyn heritage. He Raps about Brooklyn all the time. He's part owner of the Nets Basketball team and is building a stadium in brooklyn for them. That will create jobs not to mention give Brooklyn it's very own Basketball team. He is without a doubt one of the most famous names in Rap today and knows how to Keep a level head when it comes to doing business. Where most rappers make money then spend it till they are broke and gone, Jay Z is a businessman who invests his money wisely. That's brooklyn.
4. Eddie Murphy: One of the funniest, if not THE funniest comic to come from Saturday Night Live. Eddie Murphy is a household name. An excellent stand up comic and a great comic actor Eddie Murphy has done it all. He is consistently funny. Box office takes from Murphy's films make him the second-highest grossing actor in the United States. Murphy grew up in the Bushwick neighborhood of Brooklyn.
3. Jerry Seinfeld: Having had one of the most popular sitcoms on television, SEINFELD and being one of the highest paid actor on a sitcom, Jerry Seinfeld slides into the number three spot just very closely to Eddie. His show now in syndication all over the world, Jerry Seinfeld is definitely one of the worlds most famous Brooklynites.
2. Michael Jordan: "His Airness" indeed is a product of brooklyn. You wouldn't believe how many people don't know that fact or just choose not to acknowledge it. Jordan was born in Brooklyn, New York, His family moved to Wilmington, North Carolina, when he was a toddler. Michael Jordan not only help revitalize basketball around the world, but was one of the Most successfully marketed athletes in the world. Even after retiring from basketball he is still as popular as he ever was. His name is now synonymous with Nike. He's an excellent businessman and we claim him as ours. He's Brooklyn's.
1. Barbra Streisand: Only "Babs" could beat out Micheal Jordan for the number one most famous Brooklynite spot. Not only is she famous but her nose and her profile is one of the most recognizable in the world. Not to mention her beautiful songbird of a voice. Barbara Streisand is an American singer, actress, writer, film producer and director, and major pop-culture icon. She is one of the few entertainers who have won an Oscar, Emmy, Grammy, and Tony Award. It's hard to sum her up in a few sentences, so I won't even try. Just know that if you don't think she deserves to be number one, the you really don't know her or her remarkable career. Babs is one of Brooklyn's Best.
So there you have it, Agree? Disagree? What do you think? Don't be afraid to let me know.